Scottish shale Scottish shale

Alexander M. Graham


Proprietor of Southrigg colliery sold in 1898 to John Nimmo & Son Ltd.


As briefly reported in our columns at the time, Mr A. M. Graham, the late proprietor of Southrigg Colliery, West Craigs, died with startling suddeness on Thursday, 5th inst., at Edinburgh, whither he had gone, accompanied by his Glasgow Law Agent to complete the sale of the Southrigg Colliery to Messrs John Nimmo & Sons, Ltd. Before leaving the Edinburgh agent's office Mr Graham was seized with a fit of apoplexy, and within an hour after the business was completed he had passed away. The deceased was 47 years of age and unmarried, and had not been previously subject to such seizures. It has been stated that the sale of the colliery was not effected, but we are credibly informed that Mr Graham had settled the bargain by a holograph document six weeks before.

Mr Graham served his apprenticeship with Messrs A. & W. Smith, engineers, Cook Street, Glasgow, and while in their employment he was sent out to Huelva in Spain to assist in the erection of an iron pier in connection with the mines belonging to the Thesis Sulphur and Copper Company of this city. Some time thereafter he took a trip out to Australia, and interested himself much in the mining industries of the Australian colonies; indeed, if there was any branch of the practical arts for which he really had a love it was that of mining. After returning home to Scotland, Mr Graham started the Brandon Ironworks, Motherwell. He erected the necessary furnaces and laid down a complete plant for rolling merchant bars, &c., and he went on at that work for some three or four years; but he ultimately disposed of the works. For the past ten or a dozen years or so he devoted himself most assiduously to the work oonnected with Southrigg Colliery, in which he took great delight.

West Lothian Courier, 28th May 1898


At Edinburgh, suddenly, the 5th inst., Alexander M. Graham, coalmaster (Southrigg Collieries). Rowanlea, Pollokshields, Glasgow.

Dundee Evening Telegraph, 7th May 1898