Scottish shale Scottish shale

Southrigg No. 1 & 2 pits

Shotts, Lanarkshire
Local authority:
North Lanarkshire
1883 (No.1 pit)
1914 (No.1 pit)
Current status of site:
Bings remain, covered in mature trees

Mineral rights purchased by Geo Muir & Co in 1881, who sunk the pit in about 1883. Ownership passed to Alexander M. Graham and then sold to James Nimmo & Son Ltd in 1898. James Nimmo became part of The United Collieries Ltd. in about 1902. The pit employed over a hundred men and was closed in about 1914 after it was decided that reserves might best be worked from Westcraigs pit.

The 1883 List of Mines records Southrigg No.1, owned by George Moir, manager Jas. Simpson, working the Balbardie coal by the longwall method, employing 21 on the surface and 60 underground. The downcast shaft was 16' x 6' and 132 ft deep, the upcast was 4' x 6' and 132 feet deep. It was a non-fiery mine ventilated by furnace.

See also; Southrigg Bogies and Butterflies.

  • Location map


    Southrigg Colliery closes down to-day, when all those employed in the pit are to have cleaned their working places. The reasons given for the stoppage is that the haulage is getting too long and expensive, and that now that Westrigg Colliery has been re-opened again, the coal will much more conveniently and cheaply conveyed in that direction. Those employed in the colliery are expected to be put up in the other pits of the United Collieries Company in the district, there being no lack in the demand for coal.

    Linlithgowshire Gazette, 2nd October 1914