Edward Lavender & Co. are not included in the 1865 Coal Commission list of works, but appear in the 1868 Slater's trade directory as manufacturers of refined and lubricating oil, based in Mold
The Wrexham Advertiser of 25th January 1868 reports the case of Mold Mineral Oil Company v. Lavender and Bacon. This related to a disputed transaction between the Mold Company and the partnership of Lavender and Bacon, which had subsequently been dissolved on 10th May 1867. The report suggests that, at that time, Edward Lavender was operating as an oil dealer rather than an oil manufacturer.
Edward Lavender is listed in the 1871 census as an "oil merchant", living at Maes-y-ddawyn, Mold, and born in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire c.1821. Patents were filed by Edward Lavender, Limehouse, Middlesex, for an improvement in distilling products coal, dated September 9,1857. Edward Lavender and Robert Lavender, London, also filed improvements destructive and vinous distillation, dated June 5,1860.
The firm of Lavender's Patent Oil Co. Ltd was registered on 2nd January 1864 (Company No. 2526) to purchase from Thomas Pugh, the right to the letters patent granted to Edward Lavender in 1857 for "An improvement in distilling products from coal", and to set up works for manufacturing oil. It is unclear where or if such works were built.
The Directors of this company were:
- George Walton, of Weardale? Villa, Clapton, Middlesex
- John Thomas Bedford, of 12 King St, London
- Thomas Pugh, of 11 Great ? St. Lincolns Inn Fields, London
- George Gowland, Tunstall Villa, Clapton, London
- Edward William Roberts, of 15 Fish St. Hill, London
The Subscribers were
- The directors listed above
- Pascoe Fenwick, Gravesend
- John William Tongue?, 71 & 72 St John St, West? ?field