Scottish shale Scottish shale

Dysart oil depot

Former parish and county:
Parish of Dysart, County of Fife
Local authority:


  • The Scottish Oil Agency Ltd agreed a lease in 1925 for a piece of ground at Dysart for use as an oil depot. They would maintain the ground as a garage, preparing and filling shed, workshop, empty can store, pumphouse and storage tanks. The Earl of Rosslyn's Collieries Ltd, owner of the land would work railway traffic to the depot over their Dysart colliery branch. In 1926 agreement was reached with the LNER that Scottish Oils Agency construct a siding to the depot. See full record 183530 page 52
  • AGREEMENT - It was reported that on 18th August, 1925, Minute of Agreement (in duplicate) between the Earl of Rosslyn's Collieries , Limited, and the Agency, providing for access by railway to motor spirit depot near Dysart in consideration of a payment of £40 per annum, was executed on behalf of the Company, which was confirmed.Meeting of Directors of the Scottish Oil Agency Ltd 29th, September 1925. See full record 215265
  • AGREEMENT - lt was reported that on 3rd June, 1926, Minute of Agreement, in duplicate, between the London & North Eastern Railway Company and the Agency, providing for the construction of a siding in connection with the new depot at Dysart and recording the conditions under which traffic is to be worked, or 10 years and thereafter until terminated by either party on six months' notice, was executed on behalf of the Company, which was confirmed.Meeting of Directors of the Scottish Oil Agency Ltd 29th, June 1926. See full record 215265
  • Disposition by The Scottish Oil Agency, Ltd. in favour of Shell-Mex and B.P Ltd. of subjects at Mintlaw, Huntly, Aberdeen (Pittodrie Street), Dysart, Dundee (India Buildings) Glasgow (Craigpark Street), Paisley, Greenock and Stornoway . Minute of Director's meeting of the Scottish Oil Agency, January 1933. See full reference 87241 page 179

  • Location map
  • Detailed map
  • Newspaper references
    • At special meeting the Town Council on Monday evening plans were passed for depot proposed erected on tbe east side of White Gates by the Scottish Oil Co. The depot is utilised for the distribution of oil. and the plan shows railway siding leading in from the mineral railway leading to the Prances Pit, and the centre should a convenient one.

      Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian, 26th September 1925