Scottish shale Scottish shale

Eastrigg (Craigrigg) No.2 pit

Alternative names:
Eastrigg No. 2 pit, Craigrigg No.2 pit
Torphichen, Linlithgowshire
Local authority:
West Lothian

A pit in the lands of Bridgecastle, sunk by the Eastrigg Coal Co. c.1896 and served by the company's mineral railway that also served Eastrigg No1, and Eastrigg No.3 pits.

  • Location map



    The Clerk submitted a minute of agreement between the District Committee and the Eastrigg Coal Company in regard to the level crossing at Bridgehouses. The meeting authorises the Chairman, Captain Steuart, and the Clerk to sign the minute on behalf of the Committer. There was also submitted an application by the same company for permission to make a level crossing on the public road at the west of Bridgehouse Cottage on the Avonbridge Road, along with the relative plans. The Committee having taken the matter into consideration, gave the permission required on the usual conditions, that the company enter into an agreement to relieve the Committee of all responsibility in connection with the crossing, and that the crossing be made and worked to the satisfaction

    West Lothian Courier, 4th July 1896


    CONTRACTORS wanted to drive level, main coal, No.2 pit. For particulars apply Manager, Craigrigg Collieries, Westfield.

    West Lothian Courier 6th July 1906


    Serious trouble is threatened at No. 2 Eastrigg Colliery, due to a proposed change the rates, affecting about 100 men. Recently the management have shortened the drawing road by the introduction of haulage, and on this ground, as well as the higher rates ruling relatively compared to the rates paid for the same seam in adjoining collieries they demand a substantial reduction on the rates. A meeting of the general and district manager was held at the colliery office Tuesday forenoon, at which the whole question was gone into, but settlement was arrived at, and the meeting was adjourned for week. A report of the negotiations is being submitted to the men this week.

    Linlithgowshire Gazette, 4th September 1908