Scottish shale Scottish shale

Levenseat quarry limestone mines

West Calder, Midlothian
Local authority:
West Lothian
quarry open by 1855
adit disused post 1920
Current status of site:
Quarry remains intact but overgrown, with adits in the quarry wall.
Regional overview:

Quarry and adits in the lands of Handaxwood to the Castlecarry limestone. The 1855 map shows an active quarry, served by a tramway, by 1895 the quarry is shown as abandoned, but in 1922 a tramway is marked entering the quarry, presumably accessing adits in the quarry wall are still accessible

  • Location of quarry and adit, and boundary of the lands of Handaxwood


    Levenseat Quarry, parish of West Calder, rented by Mr. Cunningham. The rock is worked entirely by mining; the principal bed is 7 or 8 feet thick; dip NE., inclination 20 degrees; the main passage is about 250 yards in length and 8 to 10 in beadth, with occcasional chambers or cross passages, 12 to 15 feet wide, intermediate blocks or wards being left to support the roof, which are again cut out as the space around is piled up with waste. The roof is sandstone and shale, with nodules of ironstone; about 2 feet of the bottom rock, which rests on shale, is left as a cart-way, and taken up as the course is shifted. Ten men, at 11s. per week, and three horses are employed; coal costs 4s 9d per ton; 10 tons of coal are allowed to 100 bolls of lime. Annual sale 12,000 bolls, aat 2s. 6d. corn measure (nearly bushels).

    Limestone Quarries of Scotland. Transactions of the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland, 1837