Scottish shale Scottish shale

Cuthill No.24 coal mine

Parish:
West Calder, Midlothian
Local authority:
West Lothian
Seams worked:
Hurlet Coal
Closed:
Abandoned 1882 or 1887
Current status of site:
Bing remains as rough ground within an area of grazing
Regional overview:

Cuthill No.24 pit.jpg

No. 24 Mine (presumably known as Cuthill No. 24) had an inclined shaft at an angle of 1 in 2.5 to access a small reserve of Hurlet Coal, which presumably was used to fuel boilers at Addiewell Chemical Works. A small gorse-covered bing remains, along with faint earthworks marking the route of a siding from the Caledonian Railway West Calder Loop Line

  • Location & workings at Cuthill No.24 coal mine
    • Show seams:

  • Detailed maps
  • Recent images

  • External references
    • Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 2127, showing workings in the Hurlet Coal from Cuthill, abandoned in 1887.