Scottish shale Scottish shale

Westwood No.12 pit

Parish:
Livingston, Linlithgowshire
Local authority:
West Lothian
Seams worked:
Fells Shale
Opened:
c.1870
Closed:
1887
Current status of site:
Site buried beneath the Five Sisters bing from Westwood Crude Oil Works
Regional overview:

westwood12pit.jpg

Vertical shaft, 144ft (24 fathoms) deep

Serving Addiewell Chemical Works

Worked in association with Westwood No. 13, both pits were in operation prior to 1870 and continued to be worked into the 1880's. Both were served by a branch of the Addiewell and Polbeth railway, crossing the Breich Water by viaduct.

Maps suggest that workings from No. 12 & No. 13 were linked to Fells Shale workings beneath Tenantsmarch, which were in turn linked to workings in Addiewell and Polbeth. It is unclear how workings beneath Breichdykes were linked to those of Westwood No. 12 & No. 13, and whether these workings continued beneath the Breich Water to link with Fells Shale workings from Addiewell.

  • Location & workings at Westwood No.12 pit
    • Show seams:

  • Detailed maps
  • Recent images

  • External references
    • Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 2130, showing workings in the Thick Shale from Westwood No. 12 & 13, abandoned in 1887.