NEW WORKS AT FASKINE,
Considerable inquiry has been made for some time past by a number of parties both in this district and from other places, regarding the quality of the mineral, known as the " Vonnets," from which oil is extracted. The mineral is found in abundance in nearly all our workings here, hundreds of tons of which, for many years, have been either burned, buried, or thrown out as refuse The late discovery, however, of extracting oil from this mineral has called forth numerous works of this description, wherever it is found in sufficient quantity to warrant as a profitable investment the erection of works, In this district it is to be had in abundance; hence a company, named Greenshields, asphalt manufacturers, Glasgow, have leased ground In the vicinity of Faskine, and have commenced the erection of works for the manufacture of oil, &c. This will, no doubt, be of some importance to this district, as it is expected a considerable number of hands will be employed in it. It stated that some of the works will be in operation in about three months.
We may also state, that two new seams of coal have been found at Faskine. They are known by the name of the Drumgray coal, they lie at a considerable depth below any of the seams of mineral now being wrought here - the one at a depth of five fathoms below the other; the upper in two feet six inches in thickness, and the other three feet. They are of excellent quality, and believed to be throughout all the district; if so, we may look for better times before long, when this new source of wealth in fully opened up, One pit has already been shanked for the working of this coals, and it can be easily got at by shanking from the bottom of the pits presently being wrought.
Glasgow Herald 29th August 1862
An enterprising Glasgow firm – Messrs Greenshields; who have an asphalte work at Port-Dundas, and a chemical work at Greenock- have leased a piece of ground on the north bank of the canal at Palace Craig, near Faskine, for the purpose of erecting a work in which to carry out the manufacture of oil from the mineral called "bannets" by the miners. The foundation of the new buildings is in course of excavation, and materials for their erection are being laid down on the ground. Rumour speaks of 100 workers as being the number likely to be employed in its manufacture, which is similar to that which has carried such a tide of prosperity in the neighbourhood of Bathgate.
Scotsman, 1st September 1862
Caledonian Railway, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire and Midlothian Branches act 1865...
Tenthly, A Branch Railway (hereinafter called " Line No. 10"), commencing by a Junction with the extension of the Glasgow Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway through Coatbridge now forming part of the Company's Main Line from Carlisle to Glasgow, at or near a point in the parish of Old Monkland and County of Lanark, about two chains southward from the Dundyvan Academy at Coatbridge, and terminating at a point in the same Parish in or near the northern side of the Calder Oil Company's Works on the lands of Palaceraig occupied by Messrs Greenshields & Poynter which the proposed Line No. 10 and the Works and conveniences connected therewith, and the lands, houses, and other property which may be taken for the purposes thereof, will be, and are situated in the parishes of Old Monkland and New Monkland, in the County of Lanark.
Caledonian Mercury, 23rd November 1865
FOR SALE, a Cast Iron Still, capacity 1400 Gallons, with Condenser, Tank, &c., condition; little used. Also a new Spare Still Bottom to suit the above – To be seen at Palace Craig Oil Works, near Airdrie.
Glasgow Daily Herald, 1st October 1866